Theory Test: Road & Traffic Signs
To learn all about the Road & Traffic Signs category, watch the video or read the article below.
The theory test featuring questions from this category is at the bottom of the page.
- Road Signs – knowing the meanings of different road signs.
- Speed Limits – being aware of and planning for speed limit signs.
- Road Markings – knowing the meanings of road markings.
- Regulations – knowing the regulations associated with road signs & markings.
- You would see a contraflow bus and cycle lane on a one-way street.
- Zig-Zag lines at pedestrian crossings mean no parking at any time.
Centre Solid White Lines
You must not cross or straddle a solid white line in the centre of the road unless:
- you’re turning into a junction
- you need to pass a stationary vehicle
- you need to overtake a cyclist, horse or road maintenance vehicle if they’re moving at 10mph or less.
- Red light – you must stop and wait behind the stop line.
- Amber light – stop at the stop line.
- Green light – continue forward unless your exit from the junction is blocked.
General Road Sign Rules
You must obey signs giving orders. These signs are usually in red circles
Signs that give instructions are blue and circular give instructions.
Signs with brown backgrounds display tourist information
Green rectangles are used for direction signs on primary routes.
Blue rectangles are used for information signs except on motorways where blue is used for direction signs.